Monday 13 July 2015

Chicago I: All Hail Helle!

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

I've always loved anything that had to do with Art, Culture, Architecture, Sculpture and Sport, says Chicago Pro champion Helle Trevino. I thought to myself: "Why not build my own personal sculpture, one that I will be proud of." So I did.

imagebam.com

Back in 2003, Helle Nielsen was a sensation. While still in her twenties she won the Jan Tana and finished 5th at the Olympia at her first attempt. For such a young woman, this was unprecedented, but Helle had both the muscles and the conditioning (and jaw-dropping legs in particular) to be a champion. It was just a matter of time.

Then, in 2005, a serious back injury, a herniated disc, destroyed her career. At first, walking was a challenge, but slowly she started to recover. Incredibly, and despite medical opinion that she would never be able to train, let alone compete again, she was on stage at the 2011 FIBO Power Pro. She won. Eight long years after that arresting debut, and against all the odds, Helle made her second Olympia appearance.

She went to the Olympia again in 2012 after a 2nd place in Chicago (the show seems to like her), but in 2013 and 2014 missed out on what may be the last two Ms Os.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

But in Chicago this year she nailed the 3rd pro win of her career. I can't describe how happy I am to have won, she said on her Instagram afterwards. And I can't tell you how happy I am that she won. Helle (the 2003 version) was one of my Fantasy Contest choices, and previously on FMS I've called Helle "one of the all-tine greats".

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

As the photo from Chicago came trickling out, I thought Helle (now Mrs Trevino), looked as good as she has done since her return from that horrible injury in 2011. She had the beef, she had the definition, and she also had the styling plus two extremely provocative posing suits - black for the prejudging, blue for the finals.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

But above all that - and I say this without having had so much as a sniff of video from the show - it seemed to me that on that stage in Chicago Helle felt like a champion. Her comportment on stage, the expressions on her face as she hit her poses - maybe I'm imagining it, or being wise after the event - but I get the distinct impression that Helle was feeling it in Chicago, feeling like the Muscle Queen she is. If I'd been one of those judges, 911 would've had to be called. The sheer power of the animal magnetism that Helle seems to be emanating in the contest pics would have downright slayed me.

imagebam.com

I've seen it posted once or twice that Helle is, let's say, not the biggest fan of us fans. However, nothing I've ever come across that she has said or written has confirmed that, so I guess it's safe to assume she may simply not have been the biggest fan of the fan who started the rumour. But I sincerely hope that if she does ever happen to read today's little post that she understands that it is meant as a tribute. It is a tribute to her resilience, to her charisma, and above all it is a tribute to her "own personal sculpture", which I am sure she is rightly very proud of. A tribute to her from a fan.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

And we'll be back in Chicago tomorrow with an FMS "Pick of the Rest" including muscliciousness from both the Female Bodybuilding and Women's Physique divisions.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment