Sunday 3 September 2017

FMS @NPC USAs 2017: Kristina Mendoza

Apologies for the tardiness of this post. Sometimes these things are hard to finish - not that it isn't a joy every single time time, but sometimes I am literally lost for words, and Kristina Mendoza, aka Kristina Nicole, has very much had that effect on me. Plus, in the course of putting together the post I've come across little gems like this...



So, you see how I might have got waylaid for a while.

Anyway, sorry if you've been waiting. Here she is...

KRISTINA MENDOZA
3rd, Heavyweight

imagebam.com imagebam.com

Kristina was hardly unknown to the female muscle lovin' cognoscenti before, but it seems to me that since her thunderous appearance at the USAs, pretty much every female muscle fan has been informed. Or perhaps "informed" is the wrong word when you read forum posts like "She could be the Latin Shannon Courtney". What?!

imagebam.com

Her transformation has taken a little over three years, but it's only since the beginning of 2016 that she has been "bodybuilding", as she puts it. What was she doing before?

imagebam.com

[At first in] (late 2013) I just wanted to get fit and become self-confident, she says. As I slowly but surely fell in love with the process of transitioning my lifestyle - the junk food, alcohol, and party scene slowed down. It wasn't until January 2016 that I became interested in bodybuilding, I was up for the challenge, physically and mentally. I feel like competing and the process of getting ready for these shows change your priorities and perspective... the struggles lead you to growth and to a more mature mindset. I went from casually "eating healthy" and training to look fit to a strict meal plan and training regime to reach a specific stage body.

imagebam.com
Kristina on debut, Dayana Cadeau Classic 2016

That body certainly looked "stage ready" when she made her debut at the Dayana Cadeau Classic last October. She competed in Physique there, and again at the South Florida Championships. Images of her routines suggest a background in gymnastics and/or dance - Kristina's got some sensational moves to go with the sensational bod.

imagebam.com

Given the progress Kristina had made to get to that point where she was competing in less than three years in total and just about ten months of serious business, it's hardly surprising that she didn't stay in Physique another year. The USAs was her competitive "Bodybuilding" debut, and quite a debut it was. Yes, she "only" got 3rd (in a field of 4), but why waste time berating the judges? I'm betting that a few years from now, these pics of her on stage in Las Vegas will still be getting shared on forums or in chat rooms and so on, and they will still have the same power to move us then as they do now.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Yes, it's easy to make fun of our unfortunate "Latin Shannon Courtney" forum poster (and believe me, many have weighed in to take a pop), but I kind of know what he means. Young, amazing progress to massive massive muscles, and all topped off with incredible beauty and sex appeal. No, I'm not about to agree with him, but I think it is fair to say that Kristina in 2017 is having the kind of impact on the female muscle lovin' world that Shannon had back in 2013. I just hope her career lasts longer!

imagebam.com

Kristina Nicole on Instagram. You really should.



And that brings our review of the 2017 USAs to a sizzling end. Once again, the show has come up with the goods, even if the lack of competitors in the Female Bodybuilding division was a bit of a shock. At least I think Melissa Fanning (see Tuesday's post) and Kristina Mendoza give us some real hope for the future of the sport.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment